May 6, 2011

Carpe Diem?


I'm at the library of the Faculty of Law. A foreign male student, in his late 20s, or early 30s comes up to me.

I'm sitting at the table transferring my students marks onto a score sheet.

He stands in front of me. And I look up at him. And he looks at me. It's all awkward.

I ask myself "what is up with this guy?" Before approaching me, he had been looking my way a few times.

As if I've met him somewhere. As if he knows me from somewhere.

As if my face had been plastered in today's national newspaper.



Foreign student: shanteyyyyyq (cantik, I suppose)

Me: forced smile

Foreign student: Can I have your number?

Me: Why do you want my number?

Foreign student: Can I have your number?

Me: Do I know you?

Foreign student: No. But can I have your number.

Me: I'm married. Do you still want my number?

Foreign student: pauses, looks at my files, and looks at my finger.

He probably comes to realize I'm a lecturer and not a student.

Foreign student: Yes.

Me: I'm sorry I don't even know you.

Foreign student: It's okay.I can have your number. (Oh. my. god! how much more persistent can he be?!!)

Me: ???


I get up and leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment